Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What kind of mom are you?

In my normal, perfectly scheduled routine life, this is the kind of mom that I am...

I'm the "make sure I'm home by noon so the kids can eat lunch and be down for naps by 1:00" kind of mom.

I'm also the "pack a million snacks just in case you get hungry while we're out" kind of mom.

And the "sit next to you while you're eating so I can wipe your hands after every messy bite" kind of mom.

The "hurry and feed Avery before I leave and only be gone until she needs to eat again" kind of mom.
The "never stay out late so you're in bed by 8:00" kind of mom.

I'm also usually the "wait for the weekend so I don't have to go on crazy adventures without an extra set of hands" kind of mom.
And the "enjoy the destination, not the journey, hurry to get where I'm going without stopping to smell the flowers" kind of mom.
However, this week has forced me to be a somewhat different kind of mom. Thanks to friends who keep me busy, I've changed some of my ways.

I've been the "take the kids to a Bee's Baseball game and stay out WAY past their bedtime" kind of mom. (Luckily Joe was there this time!)
And the "let you play in the dirt at Wheeler Farm without wiping your hands or face even once" kind of mom.

I've been the "take the kids on a super long hike around silver lake with a baby in a backpack and an exploring, filthy toddler (without the hubby's extra set of hands)" kind of mom. During this same hike, I was the "forget to pack a lunch for the 6-hour excursion...thank goodness for lots of snacks" kind of mom.

And the "nurse the baby on the dirt trail while Parker splashes in the water and dozens of hikers walk by" kind of mom.

And the "stay out hiking until 3 pm and let Parker nap until 6 thus pushing his bedtime WAY past normal" kind of mom.

And the "stop and smell the flowers because we're hiking at a toddler's pace" kind of mom.
As a result of these long, dirty excursions, I've discovered that not only do I enjoy being this new kind of mom, but I am also the "find great satisfaction in giving a bath to a filthy, exhausted toddler" kind of mom.
Posted by Picasa

20 comments:

Kimberly said...

I am always the "don't stay at the beach past nap time kind of mom." I always find myself leaving way before everyone else because I want to make sure I get home for their precious nap time!

Diane said...

What a cute post! It's summertime...good for you! It makes me happy to see you having such a good time.

Tina said...

That was an awesome post! I wish I was a more structured kind of mom. I am very much NOT that way, but seeing how gas is so high and I drive a burb, I am a true stay at home and get the sprinkler out and wait til the weekend to do anything remotely fun kind of mom.
Sad but true. At least we have a swingset, trampoline and friends nearby.
I love how you and Kimberly write. Its so fun to read about your darling kids. And thanks for saying I'm a good mom. I think you are Kim are fabulous moms...I admire you guys a lot!

Sarah E said...

Sounds like you're the best kind of mom of all. Looks like you had a pretty fun week.

Darci said...

I totally agree with you and Kim. I always leave before everyone else so that Gwen can get her nap. We have a lot in common, they really do change you.

Mandy said...

That was so cute! I am one of those crazy mom's who never seems to get home for naptime....it always drives me crazy and I vow that next time I will be home for naps! There is nothing better than taking the time to do something different....as long as its once in awhile! You have to love a good routine!

Unknown said...

I love this post! The first half I was thinking "yep that's the kind of mom I am" but then I saw the second half and thought "That looks way more fun!" so thanks for helping me realize that I don't always have to be so structured, the kids would love to do those things, and sometimes naps just get in the way!! You are getting so brave! I remember when Parker was a newborn and you were somewhat terrified to go into Costco with me!!

Unknown said...

We are really similar moms, especially being at home EVERY afternoon for naps and a strict bedtime. It's more for me than them. :-)

But as for adventures? I am insane enough to think I can take them out on my own everyday!

As for hearing about my former teacher, I am blessed that my parents still live in the house I grew up in and they heard it through the grapevine!

Deanie said...

You are a Mom in progress, we always are. It looks like you are having a really good time experimenting with all the different types of Mom you can be.You probably found out that your little ones survive and thrive no matter what you do. All your pictures are darling! Like I said to Aly, Avery and Minnie are stunning with those bows.

Chuck said...

I can't believe that you went on that hike (YOU CRAZY MOM:)!!! I remember hiking to that same lake in high school I think. That is a lot to take on in one day with two little ones, you are so brave!!! I hope we can find something fun and exciting to do again next week!!! We had a great time at the farm with you and your cutest kids ever!!! Love Ya!!!

Chuck said...

OOPS!!! I didn't realize that Chuck was logged in:)

~Aly

Erin said...

I'm the "who cares" about nap/bedtime kind of mom. I learned a long time ago that there will always be time to sleep...later! Good for you for being so adventurous and outgoing! Looks like fun! You go girl!

Grandma Hand said...

Robyn, how great that you are the kind of mom that likes doing things that include your kids. Love you a lot!!

Aly said...

I had to come back and tell you how cute your post is!!! You are always so creative with your blog...I get so excited to see what clever thing you will come up with next:)!!!

Becky Glover said...

I am the same type of mom - the crazy new one I mean. I have never been very good at schedules...I don't think my kids have been to bed before Midnight since Memorial Day - it's summer. Don't feel bad, it's okay to the a fly by the seat of your pants kinda mom, and I have nursed in some really knarly places! Of course I'm not the expose myself to the world kinda mom I'm always covered to the hilt! Your kids are so cute - enjoy them they grow up way too fast!

Michael said...

First of all, in response to your blog title, I'm not any kind of mom. Second of all, I'm glad you can break the cycle every once in a while.

Annakaisa said...

That's what makes you such a great Mom, you have such a good routine! But it's really good to just kick off the shoes and relax every now and then, and just go with the flow.

CollyWolly said...

holy crap you get a lot of comments
thats great that your readers are so active in commenting
I find it amazing how similar you and I are. I never knew we had so much in common. Oh and by the way, when are we going to get togehter?

esherman10 said...

I love this, Robyn! You're always so cute and clever in your posts. Thanks for a fun evening last week...it was great to see you and your cute family!

Darcie said...

What a CUTE family. Ok so you live in West Jordan so does Alicia she moved about a year ago. I still live in Tooele and I love that Small Town feeling. We should plan a day that we could all go to lunch and catch up. I will totally be check out your CUTE blog to see what you CUTE family is doing. Thanks for the post and I hope that we will beable to keep in touch. Darcie Evans:)