Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Gratitude AFTER the long drive is over....

When we left our house early the Saturday-before-Thanksgiving morning, I sort of thought to myself WHY are we doing this? Do we really want to go? I kept these thoughts to myself...Joe didn't need any reason to stay home to watch this game. I knew the drive would be worth it. As weird as it sounds, I actually enjoyed the drive (for the first few hours, anyway). I liked having my little family packed into Michael's little Versa. (Thanks, brother...we got AMAZING gas mileage). I saw parts of the country I've never seen before. In Wyoming, we saw the exact spot where Joe's best friend Brian was killed. Then Nebraska was, well, boring. We also happened to be listening to the *%&$#& game in Nebraska. We moved on to Iowa for about 30 seconds, then entered the land of SLOW drivers...Missouri. Apparently folks in Missouri aren't in a hurry to get ANYWHERE! It's redeeming value was AMAZING gas prices. (We filled up one time on the return trip at $1.39/gallon.) Hallelujah! We eventually stopped at 3 am in Columbia, Missouri...wherever that is.

The next day we crossed into Illinois...pretty exciting. We met Superman! Parker was terrified, and refused to stand by himself anywhere near the monstrosity! After Superman, we entered Kentucky, then Tennessee AT LAST! I was seriously NEVER coming home.

When we made it, we remembered WHY we'd driven 20 billion miles in the first place.

  • For kisses from Nannu.
  • For breakfast at the Loveless Cafe.
  • To unorganize the organized cupboards, and to climb on unclimbable surfaces.
  • For teething. (My kids always get their teeth in Tennessee. Coincidence? I think not.)
  • For a trip to Gaylord, Opryland.
  • For a 3D movie after an amazing turkey meal.
  • For Grandpa and Nannu spoiling.
  • For running up crazy hills.
  • For Monopoly and Settlers matches.
  • For Ping Pong fun.
  • For chillin' time with Uncle Michael.
  • For wishing the big sister and fam were there.

  • And mostly, for spending time with the ones I love most...LOTS AND LOTS of time...

We have SO MUCH to be thankful for!

18 comments:

Christie said...

You are troopers. I can't imagine making that drive with little tiny babies. NEXT TIME you are stopping at my house at three in the morning, deal? :-)

Annakaisa said...

I love all the cute pics! And the bottom one of you all is really good. You are one hot mama! ;)

Kimberly said...

I loved all the pictures! Avery reminds me so much of Taylor at that age...she's such a doll! I still can't believe you survived that trip. It gives me hope for us in the future!

Art and Evelyn said...

That sounds like such a fun trip, even though I will never do it, ever!! I like your dress; you are such a knock-out!!

Tina said...

Wow you brave people! I can barely stand 4 hours to St. George. But I LOVE the pictures, and Thanksgiving just isn't the same without family to share it with. As you feel it was worth it, I feel its always worth it too!

Diane said...

How in the world did you get those pictures and post them already??? It was sure fun having you here!

Brittany said...

Haha Missouri drivers really are the worst! They are always out on a Sunday drive.

esherman10 said...

I can't imagine driving 27 hours with the two little ones...yikes! Sounds like it was all worth it in the end, though.

Darcie said...

WOW that sound like one GREAT trip!! I am sure that is was all worth it when you were able to sit back and enjoy most of your family. I love the holiday's, what a great time of year. Glad that you made it back safe and sound.

Hiller Family said...

Sounds like a fantastic trip! I love spending time with family, spending the holidays with them is even better!

Aly said...

I love all of those pictures, and I really like the one of you and your dad! You're little family is so beautiful.

Aly said...

P.S. Avery's hair totally looks long enough for a little piggy on top, so no need to be jealous! Just get really strong hairspray and a little tiny elastic and you will be all set:)

Michael said...

It sure was worth it. I'm glad you guys were there.

When's the next trip?

Tina said...

Hey, I need your Christmas casserole recipe for breakfast. Both you and your mom mentioned it on my post so it is a MUST have!! Can you email it to me?
tinaski3@gmail.com
(when you get a spare second which I know doesn't happen often with little ones)

Unknown said...

Looks like the long hours on the road were worth it! I'm glad you made it there and back safe and sound. And that you got such killer gas mileage and gas prices! SWEET!

Unknown said...

And for those MANY reasons, I'd say it was well worth it!

Niki said...

You are brave driving so far with two little ones. We have thought about driving up to Utah for conference in April but the thought of driving with our now THREE kids scares me to death :) Glad you had such a great trip...and thanks for the OK on stealing the name Parker, we love it and are so glad to have a Parker of our very own! Feel free to steal any of our names if you ever want to :)

Deanie said...

I am so glad you got to spend Thanksgiving with your Mom and Dad and Michael. Great pictures of everyone. Looks like all of you survived the road trip!!