Thursday, April 5, 2007

Mr. Personality

Lately I've just felt like my little baby is growing up WAY TOO FAST! He's doing so many cute new things all the time, so I want to write a few of them down before I forget. One thing that he learned to do several weeks ago (right after learning how to crawl) was learning to stand up in his crib. It drove me crazy at first, because I would lay him down for bed or a nap and he would immediately roll over and stand up. He doesn't know how to get back down, however, so I would have to go in over and over to lay him back down. One day (Michael's Birthday) it took me 2 hours to get him to take a nap. I felt so bad because I would leave the room, he would stand up and start crying, then he would get really happy and excited as soon as I came back in the room, then I would ruin it by laying him back down...poor guy! After this incident, I resorted to kneeling down next to his crib so he couldn't see me with my hand on his chest so that he couldn't get up. He never protested, but it got pretty tiring kneeling down every time. One time I thought he was asleep, so I took my hand off him. He immediately rolled over, stood up and pressed his face against the crib looking down at me crouched on the floor. I started laughing and he started laughing like "real funny mom, I know where you are!" It was pretty cute. I've finally gotten him to the point where he knows that standing up won't get him out of taking a nap, so I don't have to wait while he falls asleep anymore. Joe and I both still love walking in and seeing him standing, though. In the above picture, I was letting Parker cry for a bit before laying him back down. I think if I had waited any longer he would have fallen asleep standing!
This picture was taken yesterday at the library. Parker woke up from his afternoon nap and I decided that we needed to get out of the house. We live pretty close to the library, so I decided to walk there. We started going and I realized it's much further by foot than it seems in the car! I still need to clock it, but I think it's about 2 miles from our house. I know people don't really think anything of it when they see a mom walking, pushing the stroller, but I felt really silly walking down the busy streets in my normal clothes. I called Joe when we got there to see if he could come pick us up, but of course he was still at work. Parker had fun at the library, though, crawling around and playing with the toys and the other kids in the library. He discovered the mirror in the picture and just sat there babbling to himself for a while. We made it home two hours after leaving...so much for a quick trip to the library. It was a beautiful day, though, so it was nice to be outside. I wish people in the United States were more like they are in other countries...in Finland EVERYONE would walk to the library!
The other thing I wanted to remember is how Parker is becoming Mr. Independent. He refuses to eat baby food and really just wants to feed himself. I'm trying to become creative so that he still eats healthy meals instead of just Cheerios and bread, since those are the easiest things for him to feed himself. I'm just having to close my eyes and not worry about the mess he's making. These pictures were taken the other day while he fed himself a mixture of spaghetti, vegetables and mashed banana...looks appetizing, huh? I bought this little high chair for our trip to St. George and have just kept using it because he really likes sitting on the counter. I've also started using it in the bathroom...I can't set him in the sink anymore (he learned to turn the water on), so I set him on the counter in front of the mirror if he's being fussy in his little chair and he has hours of fun. What a boy!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

That highchair is the best...We never got a real one cause that one just worked! We have a park by our house and I decided to take Emma and walk there (we didn't take the stroller, I thought it was WAY closer!) It was before I was pregnant but I had to carry her most of the way there and most of the way home, before Jon picked us up around the corner from our apartment! It is so funny how much closer things seem in a car!